Peer-reviewed medical journal articles on cluster headache and related conditions.
We have tried to link directly to PDF copies of articles where available for online viewing or download. In some cases, links may be directed to the Abstract only. These articles may require a subscription or one-time purchase in order to access to the journal article. Fees vary. For free or low-cost access to journal articles, please visit patientAccess, PubMed Central, or SpringerLink.
CHSG is not responsible for any fees incurred nor does it receive any payment, royalty, commission, or other compensation as a result of these links.
- AHS Treatment of Cluster Headache July 19, 2016Cluster headache (CH), the most common trigeminal autonomic cephalalgia, is an extremely debilitating primary headache disorder that is often not optimally treated. New evidence-based treatment guidelines for CH will assist clinicians with identifying and choosing among current treatment options.
- Treatment of Cluster Headache: The American Headache Society Evidence-Based Guidelines July 19, 2016Cluster headache (CH), the most common trigeminal autonomic cephalalgia, is an extremely debilitating primary headache disorder that is often not optimally treated. New evidence-based treatment guidelines for CH will assist clinicians with identifying and choosing among current treatment options.
- Calcitonin Gene-Related Peptide (CGRP) and Migraine Current Understanding and State of Development July 12, 2016Calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) is a ubiquitous neuropeptide found at the very centers of the migraine process, both centrally and peripherally. It has been under careful study for approximately 25 years. Several CGRP-receptor antagonists are being evaluated for acute treatment of episodic migraine. Three monoclonal antibodies are being studied for prevention of episodic migraine, and ...
- The Role of Melatonin in the Treatment of Primary Headache Disorders June 17, 2016Melatonin may be effective in treating several primary headache disorders, particularly cluster headache and migraine. Future research should focus on elucidating the underlying mechanisms of benefit of melatonin in different headache disorders, as well as clarifying optimal dosing and formulation.
- Long-term occipital nerve stimulation for drug-resistant chronic cluster headache June 1, 2016Chronic cluster headache is rare and some of these patients become drug-resistant. Occipital nerve stimulation has been successfully employed in open studies to treat chronic drug-resistant cluster headache. Data from large group of occipital nerve stimulation-treated chronic cluster headache patients with long duration follow-up are advantageous.
- Cluster headache: When to worry? Two case reports May 26, 2016The clinical criteria for cluster headache (CH) are included in Chapter 3 of the International Classification of Headache Disorders, 3rd beta edition (ICHD-III). CH may sometimes be secondary to other pathologies.
- Ketamine i. v. for the treatment of cluster headaches: An observational study April 11, 2016Cluster headaches have an incidence of 1–3 per 10,000 with a 2.5:1 male-to-female gender ratio. Although not life threatening, the impact of the attacks on the individual patient can result in tremendous pain and disability. The pathophysiology of the disease is unclear, but it is known that the hypothalamus, the brainstem, and genetic factors, such ...
- Oxygen therapy for cluster headache. A mask comparison trial. A single-blinded, placebo-controlled, crossover study March 23, 2016Fifty-seven CH patients according to ICHD-II-criteria participated in a single-blinded, semi-randomized, placebo-controlled, crossover inpatient study, and 102 CH attacks were treated with 100% oxygen delivered by demand valve oxygen (DVO), O2ptimask or simple mask (15 liters/min) or placebo delivered by DVO for 15 minutes. Primary endpoint: Two-point decrease of pain on a five-point rating scale ...
- Abnormal tyrosine metabolism in chronic cluster headache March 22, 2016Episodic cluster headache is characterized by abnormalities in tyrosine metabolism (i.e. elevated levels of dopamine, tyramine, octopamine and synephrine and low levels of noradrenalin in plasma and platelets.) It is unknown, however, if such biochemical anomalies are present and/or constitute a predisposing factor in chronic cluster headache. To test this hypothesis, we measured the levels ...
- Safety and efficacy of AMG 334 for prevention of episodic migraine: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 2 trial February 12, 2016The calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) pathway is a promising target for preventive therapies in patients with migraine. We assessed the safety and efficacy of AMG 334, a fully human monoclonal antibody against the CGRP receptor, for migraine prevention.