The aura must consist of both
- motor weakness (or paralysis)
- one other visual, sensory, or speech aura symptom
With at least two of these characteristics:
- at least one aura spreads over 5 minutes, and/or two or more auras occur in succession
- each non-motor aura lasts 5-60 minutes and motor symptoms last less than 72 hours
- at least one aura occurs only on one side of the body
- headache accompanies or follows the auras within 60 minutes.
Headache Classification Committee of the International Headache Society (IHS) (2013). The International Classification of Headache Disorders, 3rd edition (beta version). Cephalalgia 2013; 33: 9-807.